Chile

Chile

Photos

Tuesday 14 April 2015

Cultural identity and other things

Cultural identity and knowing someone through different ‘cultural lenses’.

Recently I have had the opportunity to observe Native English speakers using Spanish and native Spanish speakers using English. Watching these interactions has made me wonder about cultural identity and the expression of one's personality through different languages in different places.

First of all: Can you change your culture?

One's personality is formed in the context of their culture. This culture is different for everyone. Often its associated with a country; Australian culture, Chilean culture, Chinese culture. And so if you grow up in a certain place your personality will be formed in the context of that place's cultural practices and conventions, and therefore will be forever connected to that culture.

So if you go to a new place can you change your culture and be as a local?

My thinking is no. Although you may change certain expectations, social behaviour, diet and routine, you cannot be separated from your original culture. You are adapting and learning new ways of living, but you are not changing your personality. You are not changing your culture and so not changing your personality. Your personality cannot be separated from your cultural background as it was formed in that context. So your personality is the same, but expressed through the ‘lens’ of a different cultural context.

Consequently for those interacting with you it may SEEM like you are different, like your personality is different. As you can adapt well to a new culture, it may seem as if that is your own culture. Learning how to walk the walk and talk the talk can project a different you, a you that fits better, more harmoniously, with the current cultural environment. That is the whole point of cultural education anyway, understanding, communication and harmony between people. But the fact is, that the new projection of you is not 100% truly you because it lacks your original cultural context.

So, if I know you in one context, cultural, linguistic or circumstantial, will I know you in another?

This is where my observations of the English and Spanish speakers come in. When speaking a language it is impossible to be disconnected with the culture of that language. When someone is talking in a foreign language they inevitably use cultural content such as turns of phrase, comments, and even jokes that they wouldn't use in their own language. This means they can be seen to portray a different personality by others. Spanish speakers who I have observed speaking both English and Spanish come across quite differently in the two languages. I'm sure I also seem different when I speak Spanish or Chinese. And I think the reason is that I didn't grow up in a Spanish or Chinese cultural environment.

The concept of ‘knowing someone’ is hard to define. If I know your favourite food and movie does that mean I know you? If I know your deepest darkest secret does that mean I know you? Hard to say. If I know you speaking English when your native tongue is Russian, does that mean I know you? The real you? If I know you as my maths teacher does that mean I know you? Well...I know one version of you, the one I interact with in a specific context. But how could I know you in other contexts? You will vary slightly in all other contexts, and in those other contexts to me you will not be 100% of what I know as ‘you’.

What if I know you in a variety of contexts?

Knowing people in a variety of contexts can be confusing. These contexts could be different languages, countries, or simply in a different relationship context. For example, my room mate is also my friend, so I see that person through two different ‘context lenses’. Is this situation more complicated or does it show depth and strength in our relationship? Maybe it just means that when I talk to that person I have to deal with two different relationship contexts and keep my expectations and behaviour within the role of ‘friend’ or ‘room mate’ depending on the situation.

If I then mix in a few different languages and a few different cultural backgrounds, the expectations and behaviours that I need to modify to suit each relationship context and each language/cultural context grow. Having a relationship with a number of cultural and language contexts is complicated, but if it survives, it also shows depth, flexibilty and strength of that relationship. Many people avoid interaction with others because of the complicated nature the relationship might have. Many won’t go out drinking with their bosses, because managing that relationship might be difficult. Many will avoid spending time with people who have different cultural backgrounds, because it could be hard to understand their opinions. Having relationships with one language, one culture and one relationship context can be easier for harmony to exist, but it doesn't always result in the most interesting or fulfilling relationships.

In the end, even if you know someone in 10 different contexts, you never know them 100%, and so trying to define them as “this type of person” or “that type of person” is impossible and helps no-one. I guess we should try to enjoy the surprises people reveal along the way, without them it’d be boring anyway, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Translate