Chile

Chile

Photos

Monday 27 October 2014

Learning Spanish in Chile : The First Two Months

Learning a new language is a big task, whatever the language. It is also my favourite part of travelling. Although it can be tiring and slightly overwhelming at times, communicating with someone using a whole new language system is very rewarding. In my opinion, living immersed in the language you are learning is the quickest way to learn it because your environment encourages you (forces you) to engage with the language almost all day and night. This is great as it gives you instant motivation to practice the language and improve your language skills rapidly. As soon as you step outside there are opportunities to practice, it almost takes more energy to not speak and read and communicate with locals.

Learning Spanish in Chile has been interesting. A lot of people, even Chileans themselves, say that they speak Spanish badly. Definitely the accent here is quite different from the CD ROM that comes with your standard Spanish textbook, with the omission of certain sounds, a huge amount of slang and a kind of closed mouth form. However as an Australian, I can hardly complain about all these things. Australian English is often described quite similarly. The Chilean accent is just that, an accent, after a while your ears will get use to the sound.


Looking back over the first two months of my time in Chile, I have definitely come a long way since I arrived. My Spanish learning journey started with my first hot shower... I remember looking down at the taps and seeing an “F” and a “C”. I already knew the word for cold, frio, so that was easy, and I thought I knew the word for hot, calor, done and done. However during the next few days I noticed that things like water, food and heaters were described as caliente, and so I put two and two together and understood that the C in the shower was for caliente not calor! Am I blowing your mind right now? Ok, just let me get past my first jet lag influenced epiphany… This was when I realised that everything was going to be in Spanish from now on, even small details like hot and cold taps.

In the first few weeks of living in Chile I noticed things like this everywhere and it was so much fun because my level of Spanish was so low that my rate of improvement felt so fast: There was nowhere to go but up! Everywhere I looked were new words. Driving into town I couldn’t help but read every single sign I saw, my eyes were in hyper drive, as my brain attempted guessing the meaning of the passing shopfront of Santiago.

After a while I realised I needed a structure way to study and so I bought a book: “Easy Spanish - Step by Step” by Barbara Bregstein. This was a good choice and I would recommend the book to anyone at a beginner Spanish level. I did a few chapters a week and in less than a month I was able to have basic conversations (with very little grammar), and I was being understood without playing charades, which is always a good feeling.


At that point my listening skills were way ahead of my speaking, reading and writing skills as I was exposed to so much conversation every day that I guess I absorbed new words by osmosis. This put me in a unique mute position. I could grasp the gist of what was being said (with a few holes here and there) but I was unable to join the conversation and express my opinions and experiences. Surprisingly, it takes more than a month to be fluent in Spanish! So without the gift of the Spanish gab I took to observing Chilean culture from an outsider’s perspective and tried to learn as much as possible. I also started this blog to make sure I didn’t forget my observations.

After two months (right now) I am able to have slightly more intermediate conversations using conjugations in the present tense and using a small selection of verbs in the past tense. I have also learnt common phrases and slang to throw into conversation to fake fluency. I think I fool some people, although having blonde hair doesn’t help the charade...

To validate my claims of speaking a bit of Spanish I present to you the proof: Last night I made a friend. A Chilean friend who doesn’t speak a word of English! I proved that I can have a 15 minute conversation with a local without any misunderstanding. Very satisfying. It’s things like that, connecting with people face to face, that motivate me to keep going, to get better so that I can understand my new friend better and learn something from them.
Making these small connections and sharing with people from different walks of life is a big part of why I enjoy travelling. It helps me to understand the world and reflect on my own life with greater clarity.

9 comments:

  1. Hey Vanessa, i really enjoy reading ur blog. Every sentence has me hooked till the next one. I'm happy that ur having a great time. Cheers Jason Volmari.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Jason, thanks for the kind words. I'm sure you'd love Chile too! Thinking of taking a holiday?? :p Travelling here is really cool! Put it on your list...

    ReplyDelete
  3. La Gringa, hope you are enjoying yourself, I feel weird in this big Chicago with all this people asking me too many questions while ordering a simple coffee... WEISHENME?! Keep on working, do not stop writing, play hard and love your life! Love xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hiya, Que Pasa!? Thanks for the encouragement! Coffee isn't really a thing here, basically 'cafe normal'= instant. However I did order a cappuccino once and got served coffee with about 10cm of cream on top! Enjoy travelling and Halloween!

      Delete
  4. Totally fantastic way to learn the lingo! Wish I could do the same with French -- gotta be easier than struggling to talk French with people who can actually speak English quite well. Feel stupid already! And don't you love the ? and ! BEFORE the relevant sentence when reading Spanish? Gives you a great clue as to the meaning at the start! {Miranda}

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your are so right about the Spanish punctuation. The ¡exclamation point! and ¿question mark? make me twice as interested. Questions seem more interesting and statements more scandalous! If you wanted to try talking online with a native French speaker, there's this website: www.italki.com could be fun!

      Delete
    2. Thanks for the link. I will have to try and work up the courage...!!! {M.}

      Delete
  5. yeiiii! just discovered your blog !!!! Me encanta como escribes. ¡¡¡ Que talento !!!! btw, about the punctuation I need to go back and practice because I got way too used to the English way (lazy way) ....

    La gringa?? lol.
    Me alegra mucho que estes aprendiendo cada dia algo nuevo y espero poder ir a visitarte un dia y que seas mi guia en Santiago :))

    Besos desde China.
    Meli

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Muchas Gracias senorita Meli ;) ¡Yo tambien espero que tu puedes venir! ¿Fuiste a Chile antes? Es bonito, verdad.

      Delete

Translate